Friday 31 July 2015

150 Years Of Wonderland

So...150 years ago the infamous 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' was published for the first time. A story that has captivated numerous generations of children and adults alike. In my opinion, I think Wonderland has wonderfully enchanted all ages because of the utter ridiculousness. The mad brilliant adventures of Alice is a story that has inspired me in many ways. Therefore, in celebration of the 150th anniversary, I decided to re-read one of my all-time favourite childhood stories.

If, for some bizarre reason you've never read/seen any of the many adaptations of the story (the 1950's Disney one being ultimate fave). Alice is a 7 year old girl, bored in the typical life she lives she follows a rabbit down a rabbit hole and enters the magical world of 'Wonderland'. Where she meets lots of other weird and wonderful creatures with important moral (all of which are slightly crazy).

The reason I fell in love with this story is because I want to be in this story. As a child, I always liked the idea of one day walking home from school and seeing a silly little white rabbit with a pocket watch. It intrigued me to think that there was something more nonsensical that the world I knew. So, basically, I spent my childhood years escaping form multiplication by daydreaming about a certain Queen of Hearts and the Mad Hatter. 

Something else I find intriguing about the world of Wonderland are the strange theories on the internet. After stumbling across a fascinating article on Wonderland being a way for Alice to reject adult-hood and the stereotypes that surrounded Victorian society at the time. May only be me finding things like this interesting but honestly google Wonderland theories (bearing in mind some are slightly strange and inappropriate.

Anyway, Happy Birthday Alice here's to another 150 years of nonsensical madness.




No comments:

Post a Comment