Thursday 2 July 2015

The Inevitability of Feeling Lonely and Why That's Absolutely Fine

"I hope you're living a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

I like to think loneliness and feeling alone is when the universe is trying to make you reflect on your life, see if you're happy and if you're not change it. We reflect on our lives when we're sad, happiness doesn't need assessing. It's only when we're completely alone and it's 3AM and there's nobody around to distract yourself, that's when the loneliness kicks in and the overthinking starts.

But...what if it never goes away? What if you reach a point in your life where you never feel like you belong again, it's a scary thought and I often wonder if, in reality, anybody has ever had to face that struggle. Never-ending loneliness, it would make a good title to a book. (Probably a pretty sad book).

SO, here's my advice on the inevitability of feeling lonely:
1) It is definitely absolutely 100% fine, it doesn't mean nobody loves you and you're unwanted, maybe the universe really is just trying to tell you you really need to think and reflect and to do this you have to be well and truly alone.
2) In order to prevent it being constant, distractions are a must, but don't rely on people to be your distraction as they have their own life also. Start a new hobby (hint: this is mine) go for a long walk somewhere you've never been.  
3)  If you are well and truly lonely, listen to F.Scott Fitzgerald. Have the strength to start all over again, you're not weak, you only need yourself and if the right people come along then go for it but you need to be able to create your own world that makes you proud. Then you can well and truly never feel lonely.

I don't think it's humanely possible to never be lonely, I think it's something people need to feel in order to be happy, I think I think I think...(but, really, I'm not very sure myself).

No comments:

Post a Comment